“Never rub another man's rhubarb.”
Jack Nicholson as The Joker, ‘Batman’ (1989)
RHUBARB STRAWBERRY FOOL
2 cups rhubarb* (about 2 large stalks), diced in 1–inch pieces
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
¼ cup fresh orange juice
1 cup strawberries hulled and cut into halves (or use whole raspberries)
Stevia or organic maple syrup to taste- add by teaspoon until desired sweetness reached (or sweetener of choice)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces soft silken tofu (optional)
Garnish with Hail Merry® Blonde Macaroons & fresh mint sprigs
- Combine the rhubarb, ginger, orange zest, and juice in a medium–size heavy saucepan. Stir well and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, loosely cover, and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add berries and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and add sweetener and vanilla extract. Cool for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, purée silken tofu until smooth. Add in cooked, cooled puree and blend until smooth. Spoon into serving bowl or individual cups. Cool in refrigerator.
- Serve alone, layered with fresh sliced berries. Top with crumbled Hail Merry® Blonde Macaroons and fresh mint sprigs. The fool can be made several days ahead and refrigerated.
- If you omit the tofu, serve the compote over yogurt or ice cream.
*Rhubarb leaves are inedible. Trim the stalks and remove all leaves completely. Then cut off the flat brown part from the bottom of each stalk. String the rhubarb only if the stalks are very large and green.