Looking for a little RAW food fun that takes gluten-free pasta to a new level? Try this Noodle Tool to make colorful raw plant-based noodles instead of grain-based pasta that will surely impress your family and friends. Eating raw zucchini, yellow squash and cucumbers in place of traditional pastas, or served in combination with pasta, is a delicious way to consume fewer calories and eat more raw “alkaline” plant foods to help balance your body and neutralize inflammation. For a simple and easy raw, vegan and gluten-free meal, make the Green Pesto Sauce below to toss with your vegetable noodles. Eat raw to Feed Your Body Royally!
Recently I purchased this Cool Little Noodle Tool by Chef Minh from oneluckyduck.com. I was a little skeptical about ease of use so I put it to work right away. I made zucchini and yellow squash pasta. It was really easy and in less than 3 minutes I had enough “pasta” for 4 hungry people. You just hold the vegetable length wise firmly in one hand and press with the noodle tool from top to bottom to form strands of pasta. I found it easier to noodle from the outside in (hollowing out the vegetable) rather than turning the vegetable slowly like you would to peel a carrot.
Raw GREEN PESTO SAUCE
One of my favorite meals is this raw and vegan Green Pesto Sauce made with both spinach and basil and packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and plenty of phytonutrients and flavonoids that protect against cancer and chronic inflammation. You can whip up a batch in 5 minutes to serve with the raw zucchini and squash noodles. Hail Merry® sunflower seeds are a delicious replacement for parmesan in traditional pesto recipes and the Chimayo Chili Pecans add a little spice on a hot summer day. See raw, vegan and gluten-free serving suggestions below.
- 4 small cloves garlic
- 4 cups firmly packed fresh organic baby spinach, washed well
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup raw organic olive oil
- 1/3 cup Hail Merry® Chimayo Chili Pecans or Lemon Thyme Pecans
- 1/4 cup Hail Merry® Sunflower Seeds- Salt N Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼-½ cup water
1. Place garlic in food processor and process until minced. Add remaining ingredients except the water and process to fine paste.
2. With the machine running add 1/4 cup of water. Continue to add water by the tablespoon until pesto becomes consistency of a creamy thick sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings. Use immediately or transfer to a glass container and top with a thin coat of olive oil to prevent the top of the pesto from discoloring.
Pesto will keep for 10 days in refrigerator.
Raw: Drizzle over sliced fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, thinly sliced zucchini and yellow summer squash, thin rings of orange peppers and chopped olives.
Vegan & Gluten-Free: Toss with your favorite gluten-free or raw vegetable pasta, baked spaghetti squash, roasted baby potatoes, or grilled portabella mushrooms.