Enjoy this vegan & gluten-free vegetable dish made with summer fresh eggplant, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes and basil grown in home gardens or purchased from farmers markets and organic grocery produce sections. Ratatouille is delicious warm or cold, tossed with gluten-free pasta or on top of a bed of leafy greens. It takes 20-30 minutes of prep time but, make extra so you can enjoy this super nutritious, alkalizing dish filled with phytochemicals, antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals, for several days. Sprinkle with Hail Merry Seasoned Pecans or Sunflower Seeds for some healthy plant oils to totally Feed Your Body Royally!
Serves 8 to 10
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon raw honey or agave
1–pound eggplant, peeled, cut into ¾ inch cubes
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 large onion (such as a Vidalia or Texas sweet), peeled, cut into ¾ inch cubes
1 6-inch zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes 1 6-inch yellow squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (to taste)
Non–stick vegetable oil spray
1/2 cup Hail Merry Chimayo Chile Pecans
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 2 large non–stick baking sheets with non–stick spray.
- In large bowl, whisk oil with garlic, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper and honey. Add eggplant, bell peppers, onion and zucchini. Toss to coat. Spread half of the mixture on each baking sheet and arrange in single layer.
- Roast vegetables for 10 minutes and then turn. Continue to roast for another 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes on baking sheet.
- Transfer vegetables to a large saucepan. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil and oregano. Bring ratatouille to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt to taste and adjust fresh herb seasonings.
- Sprinkle with Hail Merry Chimayo Chile Pecans. Serve warm, room temperature or cold with more fresh chopped basil as garnish.
Ratatouille can be made up to two days in advance. Refrigerate until needed.