If you're anything like us, you've got summer vacation on the brain. The weather has turned and before you know it that beach, golf course or mountain holiday will be beckoning, so it's time to think about how to stay healthy and stress-free while traveling. Here a 7 tips for healthy, stress-free traveling.
According to a research survey conducted by Trip It (the absolute best travel organizing app out there, in our opinion), it seems that eating healthy and exercising on the road are the #1 cause of stress for travelers (even more so than airport security!) "When asked how stressful certain travel-related activities are, 67% of frequent travelers said exercising was either somewhat or very stressful; while 66% said eating healthy was stressful."
April is Stress Awareness Month so here are our top tips to help you stay healthy and stress-free en route:
1. We know it's tempting to hop on that escalator or moving sidewalk, but resist the temptation and take the stairs or walk on the regular floor - after all you just got off a plane where you were sitting for a while.
2. Ask the hotel concierge for a map of local running/walking routes, or if you're traveling for pleasure look into the walking tours available in that particular city. If you want something less formal, check out the EveryTrail app on your smart-phone. This GPS app will guide you on an easy-to-read map as you walk, providing street names, a compass, audio guides, POI’s, and details of your average speed, elevation and duration. Get to know the city at a faster pace.
3. If you don't have regular access to a pool at home and your hotel has one, take advantage! Because of the water resistance, you'll burn more calories doing simple moves than you would on dry land. Water is also easy on your back and joints.
4. There are plenty of simple yet effective exercises you can do in the comfort of your hotel room. Try doing 50 of any or all of the following moves: jumping jacks, squats, lunges, push ups, mountain climbers, long jumps, chair dips, crunches or box jumps. You can do it!
5. Stay hydrated! Drinking lots of water is key and will keep you from bloating after flying and your skin from drying out. It also helps balance out all those umbrella drinks you might be consuming because "you're on vacation!"
6. Eating healthy snacks between meals will keep your blood sugar in check and boost your overall energy and mood. Packing snacks might be the last thing on your mind when you're frantically throwing your toiletries in your carry on, but you will be so thankful later when you're standing in the airport surrounded by greasy french fries, pretzels, ice cream, etc. Carry healthy, portable snacks, like an apple or banana. Or better yet, throw some Hail Merry Vanilla Maple Almonds or Grawnola in your bag.
7. As business and pleasure travelers ourselves, Hail Merry understands how hard it is to live a healthy lif
estyle on the road. And we are not alone in our desire for healthier-in-room options and on-the-go snacks. For this reason, Hail Merry is proud to be part of the health and wellness programs at Omni Hotels & Resorts, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, CIBO Express Gourmet Markets and Virgin America Airlines, . Please look and ask for our certified gluten-free, vegan, kosher and NonGMO snacks and desserts next time you are on the road.
Overall the takeaways here are to be mindful and be active and you'll be a happy camper. Or beach goer. Or mountain climber.