Light up the party with Hail Merry's raw, vegan and gluten-free Summer Berry Trifle this 4th of July. It is the lazy foodie's summer answer to "What can I make that is exciting, red, white and blue and will have everyone asking- This is fabulous, what is it?". Raw, vegan and gluten-free does not have to be complicated to be delicious and this Raw Berry Trifle is proof. Start by blending a basic vanilla cashew cream and adding some fresh lemon zest and Grand Marnier for flavor (it is our nation's birthday celebration!). Then layer it in a decorate bowl with Hail Merry Macaroons made from organic virgin coconut oil. You can choose between Blonde or Chocolate or alternate layers. Add some summer fruit (peaches work too) and mint garnish and you have a rawking masterpiece that satisfies the sweet tooth but feeds your body royally without refined sugars. Happy Fourth of July!
1 1/2 cups Vanilla Cream (see recipe below)
1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
5 ounces plain vegan yogurt (such as coconut or soy)
2 cups fresh sliced organic strawberries
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or favorite sweetener (such as palm sugar, agave)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
1 cup fresh organic blueberries
2 3.5 oz bags Hail Merry Macaroons (Blonde, Chocolate, or mixed)
mint leaves for garnish
1. Make Vanilla Cream recipe below and fold in lemon zest and yogurt until blended and smooth. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl, toss sliced strawberries with Grand Marnier and chopped mint leaves.
3. In a 2 quart glass serving bowl, press 6 macaroons to form bottom cake layer. Top with a third of the vanilla cream mixture and a third of the berries. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining macaroons, cream and berries. Garnish with mint.
4. Serve immediately or chill until needed. Yields 4-6 servings.
Basic Raw & Vegan Vanilla Cream (adapted from Judith Wignall’s Going Raw, Quarry Books 2011)
1 ½ cups cashews, soaked 2 hours
1/3 cup organic virgin coconut oil, warmed to liquid
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup organic maple syrup
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or fresh lemon juice
1. Place the cashews, coconut oil, water, maple syrup, vanilla bean and flavoring into a high-powered blender and process until very smooth. Use as needed.