Holidays can be stressful, especially meal planning. What do you serve that everyone can eat and love including your vegan daughter and her boyfriend from Boulder, the favorite aunt on a gluten-free diet, your diabetic parents, the self proclaimed “foodie” brother-in-law always on the hunt for the next great find, and of course your Paleo husband? Then there is you- seeking to live a healthier lifestyle without giving up all the sweet things in life, like dessert!
This raw, vegan and gluten-free carrot cake satisfies all- including the foodie! Made from only raw plant based ingredients and as organic as you want, this gluten-free cake is moist, delicious and flavorful with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Plus this raw dessert is chock filled with antioxidants, heart healthy fats and anti-inflammatory compounds, nutritious enough to make Peter Rabbit proud! Adapted from Sarah Waldman Wellness (http://www.twobluelemons.com/2009/08/raw-carrot-cake_08.html). Serve with pride and peace of mind.
Raw, Vegan & Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
2 cups shredded organic carrots
1/2 cup dates (about 6 dates)
1/2 cup walnuts
1/3 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
1. Grate the carrot in a food processor fitted with the grater attachment. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In the food processor, now fitted with the blade attachment, blend the dates, walnuts, apricots, and raisins until combined but not a paste (see photo).
3. Add the shredded coconut, spices and carrots. Pulse then blend until the mixture comes together and holds its shape.
4. Using a 1/8-cup ice cream scoop, measure out into balls and then flatten. Frost each cake with a heaping tablespoon of cashew frosting. Chill for 30-60 minutes and serve.
RAW Creamy Lemon Frosting
¾ cup cashews (soaked for 1 hour & drained)
¾ cup macadamia nuts
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut oil, melted
1. In blender mix all ingredients except coconut oil, until smooth oil.
2. Add coconut oil and continue to blend until creamy. Chill for 30 minutes in refrigerator or until firm and spreadable.
3. Use as frosting for cakes and cupcakes.