Is your wheat based sandwich wrap looking a little tired and old? Try this energizing, life giving raw, vegan and gluten-free “collard wrap”. Collard greens are amazing. They lower cholesterol, protect against cancer, fight free radicals that cause inflammation and chronic disease, contain fiber that aids in digestion, and help reduce the bad bacteria in your stomach. Collard greens are an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), vitamin C, manganese, folate, & calcium. In addition, collard greens are a very good source of potassium, vitamin B2 and vitamin B6, and a good source of vitamin E, magnesium, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B1, vitamin B5, niacin, zinc, phosphorus, and iron, vitamin E, magnesium and pantothenic acid. Wow- it is like the Kryptonite of vegetables! Throw in some heart healthy nuts, detoxifying cabbage and alkalizing fresh herbs and your talking serious plant power. Feed Your Body Royally!
Collard Wraps with Spicy Thai Almond Butter Dipping Sauce
½ cup chopped Hail Merry Chimayo Chile Pecans or raw cashews
1 tablespoon sesame oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ head Savoy cabbage thinly shredded
Collard Leaves cut in two and stems discarded. Carefully fillet the thickest part of the stem so that the leaf is pliable.
1 large carrot cut into matchsticks
1 large ripe mango (or pineapple) sliced into ¼ stripes
1 handful cilantro
1 handful torn basil
1 handful mint
Spicy Thai Almond Sauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
½ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped fresh red chili w/ seeds
1 ½ tablespoons Nama Shoyu or Braggs Liquid Aminos (raw soy sauce)
¾ cup raw almond butter
1. In small bowl mix together the chopped raw cashews, sesame oil and sea salt. Set aside.
2. In blender combine all ingredients for the Spicy Thai Sauce and mix well till smooth. Set aside.
3. In large bowl combine ¼ cup of Spicy Thai Sauce to shredded Savoy cabbage and mix together blending well.
4. Clean and dry collard wraps and remove bottom and middle stems with knife. Carefully fillet the thickest part of the stem so that the leaf is pliable. Cut into two pieces. Place one half of collard wrap on cutting board. Place a small amount of cashew mixture on top of the collard green then next layer the Savoy cabbage, carrot, mango, sprouts, cilantro, basil and mint. Roll like a wrap. Continue with remaining wraps and pieces.
5. Serve immediately with remaining almond sauce for dipping.
Hail Merry® is the Raw, Vegan, Certified Gluten-Free snack brand that features organic raw plant oils and delivers superior taste and purity in every bite. The company is a women-owned certified business (WBENC) guided by experienced leaders who value healing foods and are dedicated to ingredient integrity. At Hail Merry®, we believe sharing a journey to higher health is the path to a better world. Hail Merry® is sold nationally at Whole Foods Market and other natural foods retailers, hotels, convention centers, airports, stadiums, colleges and universities.