Hungry for a slice of gluten-free bread that can be used for pizza, sandwiches, Panini’s, dips or toasted for stuffing? This whole grain gluten-free bread is made with Teff, an Ethiopian grain. And it is vegan too! Total prep and cook time is approximately 60 minutes. Serve this gluten-free bread warm from oven- don’t expect any leftovers!
Gluten-Free Whole Grain FOCACCIA
Makes one 8 or 9-inch round bread.
Recipe can be doubled.
1/2 cup Teff flour
1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 ¼ teaspoon dry, quick-rise yeast granules (1 packet)
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons water, heated to 110°F
- Spray an 8- or 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray and lightly dust with rice flour or sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl of electric mixer. Pour warm water (110°F) into mixing bowl; mix until just blended. Scrape bowl and beaters, and then beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
- Spoon dough into prepared pan and spread it out to the sides with a spatula. Cover with a light cloth and let rise in a warm place (about 80°F) for about 30 minutes. Bread should be approximately double in height.
- Place rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 400°F while bread is rising.
- Sprinkle olive oil over top and carefully spread it into a thin film over the entire surface of the bread (use your fingers to do this for best results). Sprinkle with rosemary and sea salt (or other toppings of your choice). This step is optional.
- Bake 8-inch bread for 20 minutes, 15 minutes for 9-inch bread. Bread should be medium golden in color and cooked through. Remove bread from pan and cool on a rack for 15 minutes; slice and serve.
Cook's Notes: Bread can be prepared in advance; bake according to directions. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack. Wrap well in plastic wrap and then foil. Bread can be stored in refrigerator for up to three days or freezer for up to three weeks; wrap well in plastic wrap and then foil. Defrost in plastic wrap. Rewarm in 350°F preheated oven for 10-15 minutes; sprinkle bread with a bit of water and wrap in foil, but open the foil for the last five minutes.
Adapted from the Food Philosopher website.