Dr. Claudia Pillow discusses the health benefits of organic coconut oil. Read all about how to feed your body royally below.
The health benefits of organic virgin coconut oil are mainly from the nutritional value of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs). These MCFAs are liquid at 76 degrees and remain liquid in our bodies. They quickly convert to energy and are most likely NOT going to be stored as body fat like long chain animal fats. Coconut oil is also very stable and does not oxidize easily to create free radical damage. Athletes consume 1-2 tablespoons of MCFAs before competitions for added energy! Coconut oil also contains Lauric Acid, known to be anti-bacterial and anti-viral. Yes, it is a saturated fat BUT because it is plant based it contains no cholesterol and in its raw state can actually improve our cholesterol profile, reduce inflammation, and make our hair & skin more radiant. Dr. Oz has devoted an entire show to the health benefits of coconut oil and in past blogs we have discussed how coconut oil can help you lose weight and heal ulcers.
How much organic virgin coconut oil should one eat daily to receive any health benefits?
An adult needs about 1-3 tablespoons of raw coconut oil a day. If you are just introducing coconut oil into your diet, 1 tablespoon a day is recommended. Coconut oil adds a creamy sweet nutty flavor to food. Here are 5 easy ways to incorporate raw coconut oil into your daily diet:
- Stir in 1/2 tablespoon of raw coconut oil to cooked gluten-free cereal, such as oatmeal.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw coconut oil to a fruit smoothie.
- Combine 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil (warmed to 80ºF) and 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar; drizzle over a green salad.
- Combine 1 tablespoon coconut oil (warmed to 80ºF) and 1 tablespoon maple syrup; drizzle over fresh sliced fruit, pancakes or waffles.
- (And of course my absolute favorite:) Eat one serving of a Hail Merry Miracle Tart. Each serving contains 1/2 tablespoon of organic cold pressed coconut oil.
Hail Merry® believes that plant based fats can heal your body if consumed in their raw whole food state. Food as medicine when consumed in reasonable quantities can and will heal the body! Feed Your Body Royally…