Alisa Fleming, of GoDairyFree, shares another yummy vegan and gluten-free creation: Coconutty Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream! This dairy-free treat is infused with the goodness of creamy coconut, but still manages to assert its cookie dough identity with Hail Merry Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Macaroons. To up the indulgent factor, the rich vanilla ice cream is flecked not only with delicious little balls of comforting “cookie dough” but also with a generous amount of dark chocolate flakes.
Makes about 1 quart
· 2 14-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream, 1 chilled overnight*, 1 room temperature
· ½ cup raw agave nectar or raw local honey
· 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or paste
· 2 pinches salt
· 1 ounce dark chocolate
· 1-2 packages Hail Merry Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Macaroons
1. Make sure the container of your ice cream maker has thoroughly been chilled according the manufacturer’s directions, and chill an airtight container to store the finished ice cream.
2. Place the contents of the room temperature can of coconut milk or cream in a blender along with the sweetener, vanilla, and salt. Blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Blend in the contents of the chilled can of coconut milk or cream until smooth, 1 minute. Put the blender jar in the refrigerator, and let the mixture chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Process the chilled coconut milk / cream mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
4. As the ice cream churns, shave the chocolate (I use a potato peeler); both small bits and larger curls are good. Also, cut the Hail Merry macaroons in half, and then cut each half into thirds, to get 6 pieces per macaroon. Roll or shape the pieces into small balls (I use about 1-1/2 bags for this batch).
5. When the ice cream has just a few minutes left, add the shaved chocolate and Cookie Dough Macaroon balls to incorporate them throughout the ice cream.
6. Scoop the soft ice cream into your chilled container, cover, and freeze for 4 hours or longer for hard-packed ice cream. Serve with any leftover Hail Merry Macaroons!
*If you forget to chill 1 of the cans, not a problem, the mixture in the blender jar will just need to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hour more.